How to Choose Sunglasses
Sunglasses have long been an indispensable touch for the realization of many images. By the beginning of the summer season, people are going to choose new accessories for themselves, being guided only by their appearance, not paying attention to many important aspects, including those affecting their health.
In this article, we will consider the most relevant tips on how to choose sunglasses so as not to be disappointed with the purchase.
Contrary to popular belief that sunglasses are used by both men and women to create an image, this accessory has other functions.
Too bright sun rays, bothering people in hot countries, can adversely affect vision and cause diseases such as cataracts. Most of all it concerns residents of cities where the sun is reflected from concrete and metal, which only worsens the situation.
Although sunglasses are considered a summer accessory, things are no better in winter – the light reflected from the newly fallen snow causes unpleasant sensations. Therefore, polar explorers and climbers protect their eyes, because in conditions when the sun is shining, and only snow is around, you can lose your sight for a while.
In addition to the external characteristics, sunglasses also have other features that determine their effectiveness and ability to protect eyesight.
What to look for when choosing sunglasses
Many people believe that this product can be bought in any store without worrying about the characteristics. However, it is not. Now we will consider the features that it is important to consider when choosing an accessory from the sun, as well as how to choose sunglasses with UV protection.
There are two main materials for the manufacture of lenses – this is plastic and glass. Plastic has more advantages than glass. It is less scratched and harder damaged. It weighs less and is resistant to falls. There is no injury hazard – when broken, it is not divided into fine dust, compared with glass. It has better protective properties and less UV light.
As a rule, frames are metal, polymer, or plastic. The advantage of metal is obvious – such glasses will last longer than others. It is important that the frame is specifically for you.
It is necessary to check the mobility of nose pads and temples and the ability to set them in a suitable position.
If you try to rub your nose or compress your head, you should not buy this accessory, in the future, due to it, chafing and headaches may appear.
Color and dimming power
It is important that the color is uniform over the entire surface of the lenses. Otherwise, the eyes will quickly become tired while wearing.
Please note that how intense the dimming does not affect the protective functions of the glasses. In addition, too dark glasses, but with a missing protective filter, give the impression of good eye protection from sunlight, but at the same time they let in ultraviolet light, which causes irreparable harm. This is due to the fact that with a lack of light caused by dark lenses, the pupils will become wider and will better absorb invisible ultraviolet rays.
Different color lenses are suitable for different purposes.
So, gray and green can be worn anywhere and anytime – they preserve the natural color rendition.
Golden yellow is best suited when clouds and rain are on the street – they help get rid of excess blue colors. It is not recommended to purchase a product of bright yellow, pink or orange colors, prolonged wearing of such an accessory will have an exciting effect on the nervous system.
Polarized is a great choice if you are traveling to the mountains or to the beach. In bright sunlight, reflected from snow or sand, they eliminate the effect of blinding.
Photochromic, as well as gray ones, are suitable in many circumstances, due to their ability to change when changing lighting.
Graduated, or partially darkened glasses, are well suited to control the machine.
When trying on, pay attention to your color perception – if the product is of high quality, it will remain unchanged. If the glasses in the world have changed color, then it is better to abandon this acquisition.
This characteristic is necessarily indicated in the digital marking of the product and displays the protective functions from ultraviolet rays.
There are 5 types in total:
- 0 – there is no protection completely, all the light falling on the face enters the retina;
- 1 – minimal protective function, stops about 20% of ultraviolet radiation;
- 2 – 42-14% of ultraviolet radiation gets into the eyes;
- 3 – the best option, perfect for long walks, travel, and street work. The minimum recommended level of protection for beach holidays;
- 4 is the safest option. No more than 5% of the rays reach the retina. A good option for a vacation in hot countries or when traveling to the mountains.
Additional coverage may not be available, but expensive models usually have one. This is either a polarizing or a photochromic layer. The first option is perfect for frequent light changes – lenses will make the transition smoother and eliminate glare.
The second option is more suitable for cold climates, for use in the mountains or at night, since its effectiveness deteriorates at high temperatures. Photochromic lenses cope with excess ultraviolet radiation and delay light flow.
Place of acquisition
In the ideal case, this should be a specialized store in which all products will be of high quality and labeled. In addition, when buying an accessory in a transition or a supermarket, you most likely will not be able to show a certificate proving the quality of the products.
Selection of points depending on the shape of the face
It’s no secret that the different forms of this accessory look beautiful on different people. What sunglasses to choose with different face shapes:
- A square face and a heavy chain. Slightly rounded, large glasses with a dark rim are ideal, but they should not be wider than the face. It is desirable that the edging is thin.
- For round faces, wide arms are well suited, while the lenses should be rectangular or oval. A good choice would be pointed glasses that visually stretch your face, directing your eyes to the temple.
- On triangular faces glasses in retro style, or in the form of “cat’s eye” will look. The most undesirable option in this case is the rectangular shape of the accessory.
- Oval faces are the most versatile, almost any sunscreen accessories are ideal for them. “Aviators” will look especially good. However, it is important to choose the right size of the item, otherwise, it will look too bulky.
- With the elongated shape of the face, it is recommended to purchase large glasses, while the shape of the frame does not matter much. If you choose small glasses, then because of the contrast, the face may seem too large.
If the shape of the face differs from those presented above, ask the seller how to choose the shape of sunglasses specifically for you.
– We went to the subway, I breathed on the glass and wrote her name on it.
– Is that the reason?
“She doesn’t like it when they breathe on her glasses.”
How to determine the quality of glasses
In addition to choosing the shape and type of sun-protection glasses, it is also necessary to responsibly check their quality. This is especially true for the purchase of an accessory not in a specialized store, although even models of well-known brands can have a marriage.
Consider how to choose the right sunglasses:
- Feel the marking. As a rule, it is applied to the temples using a laser, which means that it will not be possible to feel it with your hand or erase it. If you feel roughness during palpation, or the inscription is erased, then the accessory is of poor quality or a fake.
- Pay special attention to lenses – the main element of the product that protects the eyes from the harmful effects of ultraviolet rays. In their manufacture, high-quality polymers or glass are used. If the materials used are good, then the glasses will be completely transparent, but the turbidity will indicate the cheapness of the raw materials used. Tilt your glasses – if, upon careful examination, you see even slight scratches or scuffs, then the lenses are of poor quality – in a good product they are always protected by a special coating. Keep glasses in front of your eyes, slowly rotating them in any direction. Objects when viewing through lenses should not lose shape or distort, otherwise the glasses are curved and of poor quality. Lower the product onto light paper. So you can see if there will be a stain or stains on the glass.
- There are no nicks, irregularities, or drips on the frame. The material of a good product is always uniform, pleasant to the touch, rich, and pure color. Try to bend the frame slightly – if it quickly returned to its original position, then the product is of high quality.
- Mounts are no less important than the lenses themselves because it depends on them how long the glasses last. Check the connections by opening the glasses so that the arms are at the top. If the fastenings are good, the arms will not slam but will remain in the open state. Expensive swivel joints are almost invisible, made in the same color as the frame, and do not go beyond the points.
- It is especially necessary to check the product with high quality if you buy it cheaply or at a special offer – good points will never be sold at too low a price.
Among other tips for choosing sunglasses, the main criterion remains your own comfort.
Approach the purchase responsibly – a quality product will last more than one year. Glasses should not press on the face, their eyes should not get tired and hurt. Pay particular attention to the choice of lenses – poor-quality glasses at best will not have the desired effect, and at worst they can cause irreparable damage to vision.