How To Improve Memory
and Brain Function
Bad memory is the main problem of modern man. The main reason for this ailment was the technological process. Every day we consume a large amount of content: we read the media, books, blogs, watch videos on YouTube. All this complicates the process of remembering truly important information. Therefore, an increasing number of people care about one question: “How to improve memory?”
Memory and Brain Function
Improving memory has a positive effect on brain function: developing imagination, improving attention, concentration, and thinking.
To improve brain function and develop memory, you need an integrated approach to the process: perform special exercises, eat right, get enough sleep, play sports.
Types of Human Memory
Human memory is divided into several main types:
- Emotional Allows you to remember feelings experienced by a person: fear, joy, excitement, etc.
- Visual. Used to remember visual information and refers to the short-term memory section.
- Auditory. Type of memory for capturing and subsequent playback of audio information.
- Tactile. It helps to absorb and memorize information through touch. Helps determine the special properties of objects: solid, cold, wet.
- Motor. The second name of this type of memory is motor. Helps memorize movements. Used to develop physical skills: running, walking, swimming, etc.
- Long term. Helps to keep information in the head for a long time: from 2-3 minutes, up to 20-30 years.
- Short-term. First, all the information falls into the “section” of short-term memory. Used to hold information for a short time.
12 Memory-enhancing Products
We are what we eat. Eating the “right” foods is one of the easiest ways to develop memory.
Products for improving memory:
- Blueberries contain plant substances anthocyanins, which have an anti-inflammatory effect. Anthocyanins help slow the aging of the brain, and thanks to antioxidants berries improve communication between cells. This has a positive effect on memory.
- Dark chocolate. Dark chocolate contains plant-based antioxidants flavonoids. They are responsible for improving human memory and slow down brain aging.
- Walnuts. Not for nothing that walnuts look very much like a human brain. Improving memory is due to the content of beneficial vitamins and fats: vitamin E (prevents the aging of the brain), alpha-linolenic acid (reduces the oxidation of the blood vessels of the brain).
- A fish. The human brain is 60% fat. Therefore, to improve its work, oily fish is very useful: salmon, sardines, etc. Fish contains acids that have a positive effect on the brain: they improve concentration, attention, and memory.
- Broccoli. Broccoli contains vitamin K, which helps improve memory. It is necessary in the formation of sphingolipids, which are contained in the cells of our brain.
- Sea kale. Seaweed contains a large amount of iodine. This element increases the level of concentration and attention. Iodine also has a positive effect on intelligence and improves memory.
- Chicken eggs. Eggs contain lutein, which is very beneficial for the brain. Thanks to lutein, attention, memory is improved, and the risk of a heart attack or stroke is also reduced.
- Carrot. Carrots contain a large amount of vitamin C. It is this element that improves memory and slows down the aging process of the brain. Adding carrots to your diet will increase productivity, improve memory, and vision.
- Milk. It contains the beneficial component of glutathione. This element has a positive effect on the functioning of brain neurons, which improves memory and concentration.
- Honey. With active brain activity, it is very important to add honey to your diet. Thanks to its components, it improves blood circulation in the brain, which helps to increase productivity, improve memory, and attention.
- Turmeric. The useful seasoning used in cooking. Turmeric components have a positive effect on the brain: improve memory, increase concentration, protect cells from aging.
- Water. Do not forget about the main component of a healthy diet – water. To increase the activity of the brain, you need to nourish its cells with moisture. The optimal amount of drinking water for an adult is 2 liters per day.
Add the listed foods to your diet and within a few months, the result will be noticeable: memory and attention will improve, the concentration will increase, stress and fatigue will decrease.
How To Improve Memory – 6 Exercises
One of the most effective ways to develop memory is through brain training exercises.
The most useful exercises for improving memory:
Back in school, we were forced to memorize poetry. Very rarely they explain to us the positive effect of this process on the brain.
To develop your memory, begin to learn poetry in stanzas, not in lines. So you will not load short-term memory, remembering the first one line, and then the next.
Between each stanza take a short break – 5-15 seconds and continue this process.
If desired, you can replace the verses with the lyrics of your favorite songs.
Count in your mind
Another extremely useful exercise is counting in the mind. Start with simple arithmetic: add and subtract primes. Over time, increase the difficulty of the exercise. Use the calculator only if you are at a dead-end and cannot perform an arithmetic operation.
Write arbitrary words in three columns. Each column has 5 words.
Now try to remember the words from the first column: close your eyes and imagine them in your imagination. Now write the words from the first column on a separate leaflet in alphabetical order.
Perform this exercise every day, increasing complexity: on the first day, remember one column, the next – two, and so on.
Build a walking route from your home to a park or store. Along the way, pay attention to unusual objects on the street. Try to remember them.
Arriving home, make a small map of the route, and write down all the unusual objects that you remembered during the walk.
Analysis of the day
This is a very effective exercise that you need to practice every day. Perform it before bedtime.
Try to reproduce your day to the smallest detail: phrases that you heard; facial expressions and gestures of people; unusual items.
Select an item in the apartment or on the street. Concentrate on the smallest details. Look at the subject for 30-40 seconds. After that, remove it and try to describe in detail: color, size, shape, etc.
Over time, complicate the task: reduce the time to study the subject.
Try to carry out the described exercises every day. Only regular training will bring tangible results: improving memory, concentration, and attention.