How To Make a diagnosis
Of Back Pain
To make a diagnosis of back pain, you need to make an appointment with a neurologist, if necessary, pass tests, and also undergo a hardware examination as directed by a specialist.
- Blood tests.
They determine the presence of infection, ESR (increased erythrocyte sedimentation rate, which indicates inflammation, infection). If an elevated level of white blood cells is detected, then this is also a sign of inflammation, infection. Also, blood can determine iron deficiency anemia, which can be caused by oncology.
- Hardware diagnostics.
- Duplex and triplex ultrasound scanning of the vessels of the neck and brain. It allows you to get ahead of the structure and patency of the vessels, the presence of narrowing or expansion, plaques, blood clots, as well as the compliance of the blood flow with the norms. It is used in the diagnosis of the causes of headache, dizziness, high blood pressure, as well as for a suspected cerebrovascular accident, in the early diagnosis of pre-stroke conditions.
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). The most accurate and effective examination method. It allows you to visualize tumors on the vertebrae, hernias of the intervertebral discs, compression (and its degree) of the spinal nerves and spinal cord, narrowing of the spinal canal, inflammatory changes, including post-traumatic. MRI is required before surgery and in the postoperative period.
- CT scan (computed tomography). It reveals vertebral fractures and their nature, allows you to find even very small fragments if they formed during an injury. Based on the data obtained, you can create a 3 D image of the desired area. CT scan “sees” what went unnoticed during radiography.
- Roentgenography. It allows you to evaluate the condition of bone structures. It is carried out for the diagnosis of fractures, arthritis, spondylolisthesis, the degree of violation of posture. It can be carried out with functional tests, that is when the patient flexes and extends the spine during the examination. It visualizes inflammation of the joints in the spine and, by indirect signs, helps to identify the localization of compression of the nerve processes. The degree of color intensity of the vertebrae in the image allows us to evaluate their strength (with osteoporosis, they are more “transparent”, and when healthy, they are bright white).
- Electromyography (EMG). A study aimed at determining the state of nerve tissue. During it, electrical pulses that are produced by the nerves, as well as the muscle response to them, are evaluated. Electromyography helps to identify nerve compression that has occurred due to stenosis (narrowing) of the spinal canal or intervertebral hernia.
- Bone scan. This test is necessary if the doctor suspects a tumor on the bones or a compression fracture due to osteoporosis.
BACK PAIN TREATMENT
Most often, patients do not know which doctor to contact. Complex treatment of back pain is performed by a neurologist. It is to him that you need to contact for problems with the spine. However, before the arrival of a specialist or a visit to him, you need to provide first aid for back pain.
HOW TO RELIEVE OR RELIEVE PAIN AT HOME?
The most important thing is to relax. To do this, lie on your stomach on a hard and even surface. Best on the floor. After a few minutes, you need to carefully roll over onto your back and raise your legs, fixing them so that the hips are at an angle of 90 degrees. So you remove the load from the spine.
You can use anti-inflammatory drugs in the form of ointments and creams. After removing the pain, it is necessary to carefully rise and fix the aching area, for example, bandaging it with a scarf or towel.
HOW TO ANESTHETIZE IF THERE ARE NO PAINKILLERS?
You can relieve severe pain with such a simple remedy as to a cold compress. He will not give complete deliverance but will ease his condition. This can be a product from a freezer, an ice pack, etc. Also, pain relief can be provided by applying a heating compress or heating pad. Only it is important not to overheat the sore spot.
WHAT ELSE HELPS?
The light physical activity aimed at kneading muscles and increasing blood circulation will help relieve discomfort. It can be a leisurely walk, stretching exercises.
MEDICINE AGAINST PAIN: METHODS OF MEDICAL INTERVENTION
First of all, the disease that caused the pain is established, and its treatment begins. Along the way, to relieve discomfort, treat chronic pain, medicines are used:
- analgesics, NSAIDs, in rare cases – narcotic painkillers.
- B vitamins.
- muscle relaxants.
A person is prescribed bed rest, wearing a fixing corset (for example, with neuralgia).
An important stage of treatment is physiotherapy. Her main techniques:
- electrophoresis with drugs;
- laser therapy;
- magnetic therapy.
Reflexology is also carried out :
- electrical neurostimulation;
- acupuncture techniques.
Effective for back pain massage, osteopathy, manual therapy, exercise therapy. These techniques are used when pain is caused by diseases of the muscles and spine during rehabilitation after injuries.
Clinical recommendations for the prevention of intervertebral hernias and osteochondrosis :
- move more, do gymnastics in the morning, do yoga;
- take a contrast shower with subsequent rubbing with a towel to enhance metabolic processes;
- take a massage course every six months (up to 10 sessions);
- maintain liver health, because collagen production depends on it;
- increase immunity;
- avoid stress, establish an even psychological background;
- control weight, because every extra 10 kg is about 0.5 kg of additional load on one vertebra, which leads to rapid wear.
In addition, it is important:
- Correctly stand and walk. Correct posture is when you get up against the wall and touch the back of your head, shoulder blades, buttocks, and heels. When walking and standing, you need to try to maintain just such a situation.
- Sit in the correct position: do not lean back far, do not lean forward. You should firmly press your back to the back of the chair, have support under the lower back and neck. Every 15 minutes – change the position of the legs, stretch.
- Sleep on an anatomically correct or orthopedic mattress.
- After waking up, while still in bed, do simple exercises with your legs and arms, stretch before you get up (you need to do this without sudden movements).
- Do not carry heavy bags in one hand. It is better to distribute purchases evenly across two packages.
- Do not carry the bag over your shoulder. More useful for the back – a backpack with two straps.
- A small child should be worn with a straight back, not to bend back. It is best to wear a baby on the chest in a special sling, and a little older – on the back.
- When carrying heavy objects, do not tilt or rotate the body.
- Do not bend over when cleaning – use an extension cord for the handle of the vacuum cleaner and a mop (do not wash the floors with a rag alone, kneeling).
- Most often eat grapes, apples, strawberries, peas, lentils, hazelnuts, pumpkin, green salad, raspberries.
- Monitor the balance of magnesium and potassium in the diet. Eat nuts, fish, seafood, spinach, cabbage, beans, peas.
- Eliminate bad habits – alcohol and smoking.
- Engage in swimming, jogging (but only with shock-absorbing insoles and in special sport’s shoes), skiing.
Be sure to visit doctors for preventive examinations in order to prevent the situation from worsening if you have a disease and start treatment on time.